End of July 2018
The Columbine Yurt is a 20’ Yurt that can accommodate up to 8 people. The Large Yurt is located in a beautiful meadow along the cross country ski trails of the Arizona Nordic Village (formerly Flagstaff Nordic Center). Please note, motorized vehicles are prohibited on trails. It is often visited by wildlife and home to some gorgeous sunsets.
The Columbine Backcountry Large Yurt is 1 mile from the parking lot.
You may wish to add a gear shuttle to your reservation. If you are planning a backcountry yurt adventure and have A LOT of gear, a gear shuttle might be a good idea to add.
- What: 30-gallon bin to fill with items you wish to have shuttled to your yurt.
- When: You must arrive at the lodge no later than 1:00 pm to receive your arranged for gear shuttle to your yurt. If you choose to also have a returning gear shuttle, you must have your gear ready for pickup by 9:00 am.
- How: When making your online reservation, look for the gear shuttle option. You must arrange for your gear shuttle PRIOR to your arrival. Any last minute gear shuttles may not be accommodated.
- Cost: $30 each direction, per bin (example: for 1 bin from the lodge to camping, and 1 bin from camping to the lodge – $60). After the first bin, additional bins are also $30 each direction, per bin.
There are plenty of hiking opportunities due to the Yurt’s location at the intersection of 30 to 35 miles of ski and snowshoe trails. Most of these trails can be used for biking as well as hiking.
Birding is a favorite activity in northern Arizona. For bird lists and more information, be sure to visit the Northern Arizona Audubon Society website. Enjoy “camping” in our Columbine Yurt and wake up to a nature oasis.
Amenities & Notes
- Check-in time is after 1:00 P.M.
- Check-out time is 10:00 A.M.
- One double futon bed and one twin bunk bed
- Bedding not included
- Lighting is in place, but there are no electric outlets. It is advisable to bring a headlamp as a backup.
- Heating provided by wood-burning stove inside each Yurt. All Forest Service fire restrictions apply. For current fire restrictions please visit http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/.
- Propane barbecue grill is available next to each Yurt.
- Restroom is located 30 feet in between Aspen and Coyote Yurts.
- There is NO WATER SUPPLY at the Large Yurts. All water must be packed in.
- You supply: sleeping bags, pillows, headlamp or flashlight, cooking/eating supplies and utensils, food and beverages, personal items, books, games, etc.
- Dogs are allowed for an additional fee of $10 per dog.
- Firewood for the stove and camp fires is available to purchase for $10 per crate.
- The yurt is located in a U.S. Forest Service designated No Motorized Vehicles area. It is about one mile from the parking area at the Lodge to the Yurt Meadow. You will need to hike or bike the trail to get to the yurt. In the summer, you will need to carry your supplies with you.
- Nordic Village Library: Visit our small library in the lodge and take a book to read for the duration of your stay.
- Outdoor Games: In exchange for your driver’s license, rent out one of our outdoor games (bocce ball etc.) during lodge hours.