Winter Season (November 23rd–April 2nd)
During winter season (when there is snow on the ground) guests are required to have a valid AZNV trail pass and skis, snowshoes, or snow bike on trails. Trail passes can be purchased in the lodge upon your arrival.
WALKING IS PROHIBITED ON TRAIL SYSTEM
The Sunflower and Columbine Yurts are 20’ Yurts that can accommodate up to 8 people. The large yurts are located in a beautiful meadow along the cross country ski trails of the Nordic Village. It is often visited by wildlife and home to some gorgeous sunsets. The yurts are reserved individually below, or contact us if you are interested in reserving both yurts at the same time.
- Sunflower Back Country Large Yurt – 1 mile from parking lot
- Columbine Back Country Large Yurt – 1 mile from parking lot
There are plenty of hiking opportunities due to the yurts’ location at the intersection of 30 to 35 miles of ski and snowshoe trails. Most of these trails can be used for biking as well as hiking. Birding is a favorite activity in Northern Arizona. For bird lists and more information, be sure to visit the Northern Arizona Audubon Society website. Enjoy “camping” in our Sunflower or Columbine Yurt and wake up to a nature oasis.
Read about the “yurt experience” at the Nordic Village (formerly Flagstaff Nordic Center) written by staff from Peace Surplus, Flagstaff’s “go to” outdoor store since 1973. Peace Surplus Nordic Center Backcountry Yurt Trips!
Amenities & Notes
- One double futon bed and one twin bunk bed.
- Linens / bedding are not included.
- Lighting is in place, but there are no electric outlets. It is advisable to bring a lantern as a backup.
- Heating provided by wood-burning stove inside each yurt and wood provided in a wood shelter outside of yurt.
- A propane barbecue grill is available next to each yurt.
- While ski area is open, skiers may use benches and restroom located near Aspen Yurt.
- A portable restroom is located 30 feet between Aspen and Coyote Yurts.
- Running water is not available.
- Electricity is available in the lodge.
- No WiFi on premise.
- There are NO outdoor campfires permitted during the Winter Season
- You supply: water, sleeping bags, pillows, headlamp or flashlight, cooking/eating supplies and utensils, food and beverages, personal items, books, games, etc.
- The yurt is located in a U.S. Forest Service designated No Motorized Vehicles area. It is about one mile from the parking area at the Lodge to the Yurt Meadow. You will need to hike (or bike, ski, or snowshoe) the trail to get to the yurt.
- For a map showing the locations of the yurts and cabins, click to download here. (PDF, 702 kb – Free Adobe Reader required.)
You may wish to add a gear shuttle to your reservation. If you are planning a back country yurt adventure and have A LOT of gear, a gear shuttle might be a good idea to add.
- What: 30 gallon bin to fill with items you wish to have shuttled to your yurt.
- When: You must arrive at the lodge between 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm to receive your arranged for gear shuttle to your yurt or cabin. If you choose to also have a returning gear shuttle, you must have your gear ready for pickup by 9:00 am.
- How: When making your online reservation, look for the gear shuttle option. You must arrange for your gear shuttle prior to your arrival. Any last minute gear shuttles may not be accommodated.
- Cost: $35 EACH DIRECTION, PER BIN (example: for 1 bin from lodge to camping, and 1 bin from camping to lodge – $70). After the first bin, additional bins are also $35 each direction, per bin.
Winter Rate & Information
- Weekdays starting at $90 per night for up to 2 people
- Rates may be higher during special events and holidays
- $10 extra per night, per each additional person
- $10 per night, per dog
- Changes to confirmed reservations are subject to a $25 change fee.
- Check-in time anytime after 9:00 A.M. for skiing and other activities. Yurts will be ready for check-in by 1:00 P.M. Please note that you must check-in no later than 3:00 P.M. or you will forfeit your reservation and your payment. This will be enforced due to safety and insurance concerns.
- Check-out time is no later than 10:00 A.M.
- Valid Trail Passes for each member of your party are required during winter season. WALKING ON TRAILS IS PROHIBITED DURING WINTER. Snowshoes, skis, or snow bike are required on the trail system.
- Every camping visitor is REQUIRED to read and accept the Winter Camping Information document. (PDF, 110 kb – Free Adobe Reader required.)
- Morning Cup O’ Joe: $2/cup or hot chocolate @ 9:00 am everyday
- Friday Night Bon Fire and Movie: Every Friday night (conditions allowing) catch a family friendly flick and a warm bon fire starting at 5:00 pm ending at 7:00 pm.
Please Read Before Making Camping Reservation
Please read all “Amenities and Notes” above and our Camping & Lodging Policies page before proceeding.
- By making a reservation you confirm that you have read our “Winter Camping Information” PDF document above.
- You must provide a valid email address for reservation confirmation.
- Please print your email confirmation with your access code. Cell service cannot be relied upon.
- Lodge staff may not be on site upon your arrival. Please be prepared for self check-in.
To reserve the Sunflower or Columbine Yurt, please check availability below. You will be given a choice of yurt via a drop down menu. To reserve both yurts, you must complete a reservation for each in your desired time slot.